Thursday, March 17, 2011

Yesterday post Today


This photo belies reality.  On either side of this frame is the city
of Istanbul, an unbelievable metropolis.

 This morning began with our customary wait.  Although our program is supposed to begin at 9.00 each morning, it never does.  They plan on the fly and it takes a little getting used to I must admit.  So what should have begun at 9.00 extended to 10.15 which meant that the ferry we were supposed to catch for the Tour of the Bosphorus, we missed.  With more delays at the school we missed the following one also.  Anyhow, we eventually boarded at 12 midday and departed for the tour.  Because of our tardy beginning, we were given the shorter tour which disappointed me because we were originally going to be heading to the black sea and get out at some fishing village.  It was a nice tour of the river in spite of its brevity and we were surprised by the number of river frontage properties that had their own swimming pools.  There is some wealth in Istanbul, let me assure you of that. 

        In the afternoon I went for a walk down to Sultanahmet square.  It seems that the busy day is Sunday because it seemed quieter than I had noticed before.  I am continually astonished by the number of stores that have one guy standing out the front, about 3-4 more inside and hardly any customers.  They also seem to be on their mobile phones quite a lot, probably bragging to their mates in another store “Hey Hamit, I have had 2 customers today, I might go home early!”.
Part of the Roman aquaduct that spans a small part
of the city.
       Took an evening stroll to a Roman aqueduct near where we are staying and it was well worth the walk.  The Romans certainly knocked form and function on the head and I was able to get some very good photos with it all lit up.  On our way back, Garth wanted to take the back streets.  I haven’t felt unsafe at any point here but I was a little more wary and while Garth was dragging his feet, mine were moving a little faster.  I thought to myself, this is probably how the ANZACS lost Gallipoli, and all this time we blamed the British.
       We have an early departure in the morning to make our way to Canakkale and Gallipoli so I better sign off and get about 4 ½ hours sleep as it is now 12.30am.



1 comment:

  1. cool photo. Can't wait to hear about your time in Gallipoli. It seems we are getting about as much sleep as each other. between readings, lectures, assignments, sick kids, and bloody seminary I am getting very tired. I've quit looking in the mirror (too depressing). Hurry up and come home so you can do the seminary run...please. That's all xxx

    ReplyDelete