Sunday, March 13, 2011

Free Time

It’s Sunday and we were left alone to explore at will.  Whilst the ladies took off to see some of the more historical sites, Garth and I decided to take a few tram and metro lines to see where they would take us.  We found our way to Taksim Square and were taken by the spaciousness of this spot.  The old trams that travel along the main street add to a certain old world charm which seems at odds with the types of stores that line the main strip.  This is no bargain avenue and I suspect one takes time just to be here but not necessarily part with any money. 
We journeyed back to where we started at Eminonu and kept moving south to Topkapi where we transferred to the Wastern Suburbs.  Believe me when I say that the term ‘Western Suburbs’ must be internationally recognised our two countires for as we headed further west, things began to change.  I turned to Garth and said “I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore, Toto”   Head scarves became more prevalent and it felt as if we were in downtown Karachi not suburban Istanbul.  We took it as far as it went and made our way back along the line to where we began and continued on to Yeni Camii (Yeni Mosque) to the Entry of the Egyptian Bazaar (Spice Bazaar).  The tram was packed tighter than you can imagine and I’m certain that some old guy had his hand up between my legs at some stage.  It was unbelievably crowded.   When we alighted, the situation was no different.  People were everywhere.  Scores of pigeons flew overhead and I was determined not to get crapped on. Fortunately I escaped the white missiles.  You have to have your wits about you here.
As soon as we entered the Spice Bazaar there was an immediate positive feeling about the place.  The vendors were less pushy, the prices were more reasonable, many items had price tags on them, and the smell of spices throughout the bazaar gave it an exotic feel.  There were a few groups of Americans here so we were able to tack on to the end of some English speaking tour groups and listen in.  I will definitely go back and explore it a little further.
A word or two about the Turks #2
Social dynamics are very interesting.  We noticed at meal times in the cafeteria that boys and girls sit separately.  I asked our host whether there is a rule that says they don’t sit together.  He said there is no rule and that they choose to sit with their friends.  As I made more observations in the street I noticed that this is widespread.  There is lot of male-male and female-female fraternisation but no male-female.  Having said that, it appeared that newlyweds were very open with their public displays of affection.  Perhaps they are making up for lost time.

No comments:

Post a Comment