Monday, March 14, 2011

My Favourite Day


The beautiful marina on Prince's Island

Today was T-Shirt weather.  It’s hard to believe that just a few days ago we were layered up to the eyeballs in winter clothing and today we had T-Shirts and sunglasses.  Today our hosts sent us to Prince’s Island, one of eight islands off the south coast of Istanbul in the Marmara Sea.  It took about an hour on the ferry and our guide informed us that we were getting off on the fourth island.  The sea was a millpond today and the ferry ride was smooth and gentle. 
A peacefully surreal experience at the top of the hill
On these islands, there are no cars and people get around either on foot, bicycle or horse and cart.  I was looking forward to being away from the city and as we looked back to the mega-tropolis, the evident haze of pollution was quite alarming.  We got off the ferry and immediately noticed that whilst the Turks consider these islands as holiday destinations, each was a mini city of its own.  One cannot escape the amount of product and stock small businesses carry to service their customers.   As I stood at the wharf entrance I felt relaxed when all of a sudden, splat, a significant amount of thick liquid had hit my shoulder.  It felt as though someone’s ice-cream had fallen out of its cone and landed right on me.  Let me tell you something, Turkish seagull crap, smells, looks and feels just like Australian
 seagull crap.  I just closed my eyes, took off my jacket, washed it with the water in my drink bottle and packed it in my bag.  I just thought to myself that this day can only get better.  It did.  We were treated to a bounteous lunch of chicken kebabs served on a bed of rice, dips, fresh bread, fresh salad, pickled peppers and a cold drink.  I was stuffed.


It was great to ride through these streets with no cars.

 I took the opportunity to work lunch off by hiring a bike for 5 lira (about AUD3.50) for one hour.  It was awesome just riding around the island going wherever I wanted and no helmet required.  I climbed the highest peak I could (Think Sandy Bay – Mount Nelson) and got a great view of the other side of the island.  At the top of the hill there were horses grazed amongst the trees untethered and nearby was a huge fenced and gated property.  Think the house in Psycho and times it by 100.  Not sure whether this was an old orphanage, sanatorium or hospital but it was quite spooky and looked as if it had been condemned for years.  I’m kicking myself that I didn’t get any photos of the place.  I coasted down the hill and was charmed by the old world feel that this place had and loved touring at will on two wheels.  My hour ended quickly and so we soon boarded the ferry back to the city.
In the evening I took time to take some night shots down at Sultanahmet square being dazzled by the splendour of the Blue Mosque and Ayasofya at night.  I’m sure if Blanche was here she would have done better with the camera because when I use it I feel like such a rookie.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to read what you've been up to. I can't wait to see your photos. Sounds very beautiful. Still missing you xxx

    ReplyDelete