Saturday, March 5, 2011

First things first

Now before I start, I just want every one to know that originally I intended to say no to this trip.  With a new school year starting, Blanche back at Uni, two kids' birthdays over the period, it seemed that a trip to Turkey would remain a distant dream.  I called Blanche when I knew of the invitation to tell her I was going to say no to it.  She convinced me otherwise.  In spite of the challenges she has to put up with over those weeks she said "If we both can't go at least you can".  How can any husband not help but love and appreciate a woman like that...

             ...so, here it is....

Hobart to Istanbul (via Singapore and Dubai)


A quiet singapore lounge

Not the Dubai you see on the brochure
Now for those who have done it and got through okay, well done.  I for one, however, struggled with the long haul flight.  30 hours with no sleep sucks and being cramped on a plane is no way to travel in spite of all the video and audio on demand available and the attendants distracting you with the next meal they want to serve you when you only just downed the one before.  Singapore was a yawn (literally) and Dubai was a bit soulless (kinda like Canberra) and I must admit I was a little unsettled when I watched the map of the plane tracking right over the top of Bagdad.  They have these cameras on the undercarraige of the plane so at least you can see the missiles coming for you and it doesn't come as a big surprise.

Eventually we flew into Istanbul.  Words cannot explain the sight and the feeling.  This is not just any big city.  This is a Mega-city of 17 million people.  It has been around for 3000 years and has been under control of various empires including the Greeks, the Romans, the Seljuks, the Byzants and the Ottomans.  Mosque minarets dotted the city and and the built-up boundaries of Greater Istanbul stretched north and south of the Bosphorus until they were lost in the haze.  We were met at the airport by our hosts, whisked through the city for a lighning tour of some sights (passing under a roman aquaduct that people were just walking on - with no fences and no entry fees.  It just blew me away.)

The students were picked up by their host families, we met the principal and settled into our lodgings before our Turkish hosts took us out for dinner.  I'll say this from the start.  I'm going to need to exercise while I am here or else buy a new wardrobe.  We enjoyed a 'plain' Turkish meal of Kofte and salad and then walked around the corner to a coffee shop for dessert.  I had to explain that I didn't drink caffienated drinks and hoped they wouldn't kick me out of the country.  They understood totally and told me not to worry because they had decaf options.  I was happy so tried a decaf hazlenut latte with a pear and almond tart  It was awesome.

By this stage I was faltering.  30 hours without sleep is not recommended so I headed back to my room when I kid you not, 5 minutes there is a knock at the door and some guy is standing there with a Turkish meat pastry and a jug of water.  Of course I accepted it but I had to put it in the fridge for breakfast.  It gave me a sense of what they must be like here.  Very welcoming.  Hey Blanche, I think Maarten Bollin might have been right.

It's now Sunday, we have some free time so I might just wander around this part of the city.  We are pretty much in the middle of the CBD and believe it or not, there is no noise at night.  Lying in bed it is as quiet here as it is at home.  Except of course for the 5.00am call to prayer.

Next post will have pictures.  Today is a camera day.

7 comments:

  1. looking forward to seeing more photos. Have you caught up on some sleep now? The kids and I all miss you heaps. Charlotte keeps wanting to call you. We'll have to skype soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Facebook isn't a bad thing after all. That's how I get to find out about your big trip. I am figuring it is a school trip.
    What language do they speak there?, excuse my ignorance.
    When my daughter went to Switzerland she spoke French so one never knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. REG: And what have they (the Romans) ever given us in return?!

    XERXES: The aquaduct?

    REG: What?

    XERXES: The aquaduct

    REG: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.

    COMMANDO #3: And the sanitation.

    LORETTA: Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like?

    REG: Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done.

    MATTHIAS: And the roads.

    REG: Well, yeah. Obviously the roads. I mean, the roads go without saying, don't they? But apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads--

    COMMANDO: Irrigation.

    XERXES: Medicine.

    ... OK, shutting up now! Can't believe you're in Turkey! Have fun!

    Colin C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Interesting to hear about other countries. Looking forward to photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome Matt- loving being a part of your holiday!
    your quick to blog.
    you do have a very good wife! but really, how could you pass up on an opportunity like this!
    like i said before you left.
    "have a great time, and stay safe"
    we love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, how could i forget...
    i was reminded by the word verification- 'coffito'
    hee hee
    That dessert sounded amazing! you know i would love that as much as you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. I love reading about other ppls travel experiences. Saves me having to go myself. Take it all in, enjoy and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete